Discuss the primary functions of the ovary.
3. Describe the chemistry of the estrogens
4. Discuss the effects of estrogen on the female sex organs, breasts and
5. Discuss the intercellular effects of estrogen homeones.
Discuss the effects of progesterone on the uterus, fallopian tubes, and breasts.
the ovulation process and discuss the roles of FSH and LH in the events leading up to ovulation. Particularly discuss
the importance of the surge of LH just before ovulation.
8. Disuss the formation of the corpus
luteum, its role in secreting progesterone and estrogen and the effects these hormones extert. Discuss how this secretion
is controlled by LH.
9. Describe the organization of the uterine wall.
Describe each of the three phases of the uterine cycle (use a 28 day cycle).
the monthly changes in the uterine endometrium and discuss the roles of estrogen and progesterone in controlling the endometrial
12. Describe the sequential changes in the endometrium that causes menstruation
and discuss the hormonal events that regulate the menstrual cycle.
13. List and summarize
the important steps in the ovarian cycle and discuss the hormonal events that regulate the cycle.
Define the term mittelschmerz.
15. Discuss the importance of the pituitary and hypothalamus
in female reproductive function.
16. Discuss what triggers puberty in females.
Briefly describe the structure of vagina and discuss its three primary functions.
the importance of maintaining an acidic pH in the vagina and name the cells and subtrate that establishes this pH.
Trace the path a drop of milk would take from production to the baby.
20. Discuss how
hormones and the nervous system control milk production and lactation. Be sure to discuss how this is a positive feedback
21. Name the eight ligaments that hold the breasts in place.
Discuss the effects of aging on the female reproductive system.
23. Describe the various
types of contraception available for male and females and explain how they work.
why it is easier for females to get cystitis than males.
25. Discuss how the elimination
of testosterone would affect a women's ovarian cycle.
26. Discuss the role of the autonomic
nervous system in female erection, lubrication and orgasm.
27. Discuss how a woman can identify
when she will be fertile during the sexual cycle.
28. Discuss the importance of the perineum
and episiotomies during childbirth.
29. Compare and contrast menarche, perimenopause and
30. Discuss how the female reproductive system differs functionally
from all the other systems of the body.
Discuss each of the following clinical conditions or procedures
in the woman:
31. pap smear,
38. breast cancer,
39. premenstrual bleeding,
41. hypersecretion of the ovaries,
51. pelvic inflammatory disease,